Sunday, March 11, 2018

#Run1000miles 2018 Ambassador - A bit moor from me

Check out the new Trail Running Magazine for some #Run1000miles advice from me, but here is a bit more about me as one of your #Run1000miles 2018 ambassadors

I haven’t placed a win on my record yet and there are many faster and stronger runners out there than me, but I love to get out and run. I first ran a half-marathon back in 1993, but for seemingly no reason at all I never really ran again until 2014.  I managed to get running again after having both of my anterior cruciate ligaments reconstructed over a period of 8/9 years. There have been many difficult days of struggling with injury and physiotherapy after surgery. Running the trails had been far from my mind and my knees used to collapse when playing football or doing simple games with my young boys, now my lads want to race me up a hill. Running has now become my go to sport and I just love it, getting out on the trails and moors, seeing the natural environment, enjoying the space, sounds of nature, and at times the smells!
Why did I not get running again sooner? I don’t really know! I have lived in places I would now love to run, one of which was Malawi and the Mulanje Mountain Porter’s race is on my bucket list. This picture was taken when I climbed Mulanje mountain with some friends.

I was really unfit and I started doing parkrun and running with friends David and Andrea from work at lunchtimes, during this time my father Eddie Armstrong died and was buried just as few days before my first half-marathon in February 2015 since re-starting running. This is why I now run to raise money for Dementia UK. https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/matt-armstrong-ultrarunning2018


A look back at the #Run100miles 2017 challenge

This was a great way to start 2017 for me, I had just completed my first two ultras toward the end of 2016 and this just kicked me on. I was also turning 40 in 2017 and it was always going to be a big running year as I had a place in the Ultra Great Britain 200 mile #RaceAcrossBritain. What had I done signing up to such a race… well I had to get my head down and run. My training was go long, short, up, down, fast, slow and having a goal race for the year and being part of the #Run1000miles challenge every mile seemed to count. I went on to finish joint 9th overall in the 200 mile race from Southport to Hornsea along the Trans-Pennine Trail.  My own 1000mile moment was half way round the Ilkley Skyline Fell Challenge. I was on my own as much of my running is, but that mile was special and I knew it.

Integral Running - My Races and challenges for 2018
My next planned race and first ultra of the year is the Highland Fling in April and I’ll be running in 2018 for Dementia UK. Although I might be able to fit in the Liverpool to Manchester 50mile ultra next month as my #dementia496 challenge will keep me busy in March.

My goal race of 2018 will be the Ultra Great Britain #RaceAcrossScotland 212 miles along the Southern Upland Way – that should help me reach the 1000miles for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment